VIRGINIA THESPIAN SCHOLARSHIP POLICY
TROUPE DIRECTORS: You must register your students through the registration system. They are responsible for filling out the scholarship application online by December 15th, 2017.
ELIGIBILITY / GENERAL INFORMATION
HOW TO APPLY:
A. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
1. Complete the online application form on time and pre-register with your sponsor.
2. Complete other parts of the application and bring to audition meeting at conference:
A. Type a one page Thespian Activities sheet including all participation in grades 9-12.
(Note: This is Thespian Troupe related activities and not shows. Those go on
B. Type a one page résumé including education, theatrical experiences, extracurricular participation, academic achievement, etc.
C. Letter of recommendation from your sponsor.
3. Please complete an essay (maximum of 500 words) on what being a Thespian means to you.
4. The sponsor's signature is needed on all parts of the scholarship application.
B. AUDITION / PORTFOLIO PRESENTATION
1. Dress professionally. COSTUMES ARE NOT PERMITTED. . Wear clothing that is simple and will allow easy movement for your blocking.
2. Introductions/Slating: Introduce yourself by name. Performers: Introduce the audition piece(s). Tech and Theatre Education Presentations: State that you are presenting your “Tech Portfolio” or your “theatre lesson plan.” Your time begins after slating.
3. Performance - Each applicant will have two minutes to demonstrate his/her ability.
a. The performance area will be approximately 10' by 5'. No special lighting will be available. You will be provided with one (1) straight back chair and one (1) small table. YOU MAY NOT USE ADDITIONAL SET PIECES. YOU MUST SUPPLY ANY HAND PROPS NEEDED. You will be allowed time to BRIEFLY set the stage. Auditions may be conducted on a slick floor, which is not conducive to dance.
b. Selections: You may choose two one-minute contrasting monologues (humorous/dramatic; contemporary/classic, etc.), one two-minute monologue, or a one-minute musical audition and a one-minute monologue. Accompaniment to musical auditions may be live or recorded. A piano and a music player will be provided.) RECORDED ACCOMPANIMENT SHOULD CONTAIN INSTRUMENTATION ONLY!
4. Technical Portfolio - Prepare a presentation speech for a maximum of five minutes on a prepared portfolio of designs and sketches, which illustrate your technical expertise.
5. Theatre Education - Speak for five minutes on situations / experiences where you have had an opportunity to "teach." Explain why you want to become a theatre educator. Bring a real or create a mock lesson plan for the panel to look over. Be prepared, if asked- to discuss your lesson plan ideas.
The scholarship judging committee shall consist of a specially selected panel of qualified adjudicators. We typically have at least 3 judges on the panel- one from education, one from a performance background, and one from a technical background.
All applicants will be evaluated using the following scale:
NOTE: Application materials become the property of the Virginia Thespian Society