The pageant is our biggest fundraiser
for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDs
- Each school may submit one primary application and one secondary application. (Secondary applications will be considered in the event that there are not enough primary application submissions.) Please sign contestants up through our Registration System and also submit the Google Form application below by JANUARY 15, 2019.
- Biologically male students are eligible to "present" as a woman and adopt a drag persona for the female impersonation portion of the Pageant. Sign this student up through our Registration System.
- Biologically female students are eligible to "present" as a man, acting as male contestants' pageant coaches. Coaches will attend the meeting with their school's contestant and do not need to be signed up in the Registration System.
- Contestants will participate in each of the following events*:
Friday Evening - Interview Ceremony: Contestants and coaches are introduced to conference attendees. Audience members will hear a short bio for each contestant and get the chance to see them in their formal attire.
Saturday Afternoon/Evening - Talent Portion during Mainstage: Contestants and coaches show their best talents and skills, then answer several interview questions and information about the work of BC/EFA following the Mainstage One-Acts on Saturday afternoon and evening.
Sunday Morning - Crowning of Miss Leading Lady and Misleading Man as well as announcement of other awards (see below).
- Bring outfits and students to RADFORD by 4:00pm on Friday.
- A pre-Pageant photo will be taken of each contestant and coach at the meeting for display. (Think of this as the "before" picture.)
- A Pageant photo will be taken during the Pageant for display. (Think of this as the "after" picture, highlighting the transformation.)
- Outfits: Choose a well-designed outfit that reflects the contestant's drag persona. Keep in mind that contestants in this Pageant are ambassadors for both Virginia Thespians and BC/EFA. Remember, "Classy not Trashy” - the outfit must be approved by the sponsor (see signature line on application) and conform to normal societal expectations of modesty. We suggest pageant/formal attire for the contestant. Coaches should also be dressed nicely. (However, within these confines we highly encourage contestants and coaches to exercise creativity in theme and presentation!)
*Due to the possibility of scheduling changes for the weekend of the Conference, these events may happen at times other than those listed here. HOWEVER, the content of each contestant's Pageant appearances will remain largely the same.
Entrants in the Pageant are eligible for the following awards...
- Miss Leading Lady (the "audience choice" drag queen performer, as indicated by the highest amount of donations raised in the Spirit Store)
- Misleading Man (the "audience choice" drag king performer, as indicated by the highest amount of donations raised in the Spirit Store)
- Miss Congeniality (picked by the drag queen contestants)
- Mister Congeniality (picked by the drag king contestants)
- Host's Choice (picked by the ceremony host)
- Dynamic Duo (awarded for the combined work of the Drag Queen and King)